I had a great time raising awareness for diabetes in a fun, new way at this year’s Annual Easter Parade and Bonnet Festival in New York on Easter Sunday. It was the first straight year in a row that we took to the streets to educate and entertain participants.
In 2012, I filmed my very first YouTube at the Easter Parade. Now, I have my own ‘Mr. Divabetic’ YouTube channel (!) featuring videos from various parades and festivals in New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC.
How much do you know about Diabetes Health & Wellness? Test your ‘Diabetes IQ’ with 13 Mr. Divabetic Questions from 2017 Easter Parade:
1. What was Mary Tyler Moore’s character name on the Dick Van Dyke Show?
A. Laura Petrie
B. Laura Ingalls
C. Laura Spencer
2. Which food product doesn’t contain gluten?
B. soy sauce
3. People with diabetes are at low risk for developing glaucoma?
4. Which food product contains the most sodium?
A. hot dog
B. cornflakes (1 cup)
C. soy sauce (1 tablespoon)
5. Once eye disease starts, it cannot be stopped
6. Diabetic eye disease usually has early warning signs
7. If you have Diabetic Retinopathy …
A. You may notice changes in your vision right away
B. You may never notice any changes in your vision
C. You may not notice change in your vision at first
8. Diabetes-related eye diseases include:
A. Diabetic Retinopathy
D. All of the above
9. Which what organ in the body produces insulin?
10. How many times does a heart beat in a lifetime?
A. 2.5 Million
B. 2.5 Billion
C. 2.5 Trillion
11. Shoes with heels should will be no more than…
A. 1 inch high
B. 1 1/2 inches high
C. 2 inches high
D. 2 1/2 inches high
12. One avocado contains how many servings?
A. 1 Serving
B. 3 Servings
C. 5 Servings
13. How much blood do your kidneys filter every day?
A. 1 Gallon
B. 50 Quarts
C. 200 Quarts
To mark this historic milestone at Divabetic, hat designer Joe Murray created a special ‘Pineapple Top Hat’ for me to top off my outfit. (Check out my new 18 Carot Fruit Suit tuxedo jacket!)
Don’t let the parade pass you by! Check out our Facebook Live Videos (Divabetic) to catch all the sights and sounds from the Easter Parade with guests Divabetic Image & Style Advisor, Catherine Schuller AICI, CIP, the Salad Bar Superstar, Aida Romaine and more!
ANSWERS: 1. A. Laura Petrie. Actress Mary Tyler Moore was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes just before ‘The Mary Tyler Moore Show’ launched. If Mary could take it on with a smile, so can we! 2. A. Fritos 3. B. FALSE: Glaucoma is almost twice as likely to occur in people with diabetes than in those without the disease. 4. C. Soy Sauce. One tablespoon typically contains about 1,000 milligrams of sodium—nearly half of the recommended limit for sodium intake in an entire day—soy sauce is indeed a high-sodium food. 5. B. FALSE 6.B. FALSE 7. C. You may not notice change in your vision at first 8. D. All of the above 9. C. Pancreas. Your pancreas maintains your body’s blood glucose (sugar) balance.