In a recent profile on the Everyday Diabetes website, Chef Robert Lewis admitted that he feared the worst for his own love of great food following his diagnosis with Type 2 Diabetes in 1998.
“I suspected that my days of good eating were over,” Lewis writes on his blog. “Yet, as I worked through my ups and downs, I came to realize that the selection of foods I could and should eat was vast and included many of my favorites. This motivated me to attempt to create delicious, diabetic-friendly dishes that were also easy to prepare.
Enjoy Chef Robert aka ‘The Happy Diabetic’s recipe for Pesto Shrimp Skewers:
Pesto Shrimp Skewers
What’s in it?
- 1 lb. medium or large frozen shrimp, deveined, thawed
- 3 lemons, thinly sliced
- 8 skewers, soaked in water 20 minutes
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. pesto
Let’s put it together
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Skewer shrimp and lemon slice.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. 4. Grill, turning occasionally, until shrimp is opaque and lemons slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes.
Brush with pesto and serve.
LISTEN NOW: Divabetic’s 3rd Annual Diabetes Mystery podcast entitled, “Suspect Boulevard“. Our madcap adventure involves dogs, divas, dementia, diamonds and diabetes. Cast members are: Poet Lorraine Brooks, Patricia Addie-Gentle RN, CDE, ‘We Are Diabetes’ organization founder, Asha Brown, Catherine Schuller AICI, CIP, Susan Weiner MS, RD, CDE, CDN, Chef Robert Lewis and Mama Rose Marie.
Throughout the podcast we will spotlight the wonderful music by the National Philaharmonic Orchestra under the direction of Charles Gerhardt courtesy of SONY MUSIC.
The happy healthcare host, Mr. Divabetic hopes to inspire you to become a Diabetes Detective will this third installment of Diabetes Mystery Theater podcast.