In a recent profile on the Everyday Diabetes website, Chef Robert Lewis admitted that he feared the worst for his own love of great food following his diagnosis with Type 2 Diabetes in 1998.
“I suspected that my days of good eating were over,” Lewis writes on his blog. “Yet, as I worked through my ups and downs, I came to realize that the selection of foods I could and should eat was vast and included many of my favorites. This motivated me to attempt to create delicious, diabetic-friendly dishes that were also easy to prepare. Enjoy Chef Robert’s recipe for Italian Chicken Skewers:
Italian Chicken Skewers by Chef Robert Lewis
What’s in it?
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large cubes
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley, plus more leaves for garnish
8 skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes
Let’s put it together
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Make marinade: combine tomato paste, olive oil, garlic cloves,
- and chopped parsley in large bowl.
- Add chicken and toss to fully coat. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Skewer chicken and bread
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through (180 degrees) and slightly charred, about 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
LISTEN NOW: Divabetic’s 3rd Annual Diabetes Mystery podcast entitled, “Suspect Boulevard“. Our madcap adventure involves dogs, divas, dementia, diamonds and diabetes. Cast members are: Poet Lorraine Brooks, Patricia Addie-Gentle RN, CDE, ‘We Are Diabetes’ organization founder, Asha Brown, Catherine Schuller AICI, CIP, Susan Weiner MS, RD, CDE, CDN, Chef Robert Lewis and Mama Rose Marie.
Throughout the podcast we will spotlight the wonderful music by the National Philaharmonic Orchestra under the direction of Charles Gerhardt courtesy of SONY MUSIC.
The happy healthcare host, Mr. Divabetic hopes to inspire you to become a Diabetes Detective will this third installment of Diabetes Mystery Theater podcast.